Extraordinary Experiences in Hawaii

Submitted by Sarah Zuk on the 2018 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

My last week in Hawaii was spent exploring the Kona side of the Big Island. We snorkeled in the most incredible reefs at Kealakekua Bay that reached the depths of 140 feet and the water was so clear we could still see the ocean floor.  I saw marine life in this reef that I had never seen before and I began to recognize the fact that I knew the majority of marine life quite well from past excursions. I am amazed at how much our class can learn by merely being exposed to such wonderful experiences. I also appreciated snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay for it’s historical value. On the land stood a statue for Captain James Cook, who made great cultural impacts on the islands, which we learned about extensively in class.

On another excursion, our class visited Pu’uhonua o Honaunau, or more commonly known as the Place of Refuge. The land is all very historic and sacred to the Hawaiian people as in ancient times this was where the royalty dwelled. I was amazed to hear about how royalty was treated compared to other commoners. Hawaiian royalty were viewed as gods and had many privileges such as their own fishpond so that they could choose their meals. Pu’uhonua o Honaunau was given it’s name because of one of it’s purposes: if someone in society committed a taboo, they would need to swim across the bay to the Place of Refuge so that they would not be sacrificed to the gods. This does sound quite extreme, but from the Hawaiian point of view it makes sense. If one person in society is bad, the gods will be angry and hurt everyone. If that bad person is sacrificed, the gods will remain happy and nothing bad will happen to the people. However, if that person seeks forgiveness and is given redemption, they are able to return back to society and live in peace. Pu’uhonua o Honaunau to this day is still considered sacred land to many Hawaiians and I felt like I understood their culture better after visiting such an incredible place.

All of my experiences in Hawaii have been extraordinary and unforgettable. I am quite sad to be leaving such a wonderful place that I now think of as my second home. My program with Professor Bartley has exceeded all of my already high expectations and more. I am so incredibly grateful to have been given the opportunity to study and learn so much about Hawaii that I now feel like a local by the end. As I leave, my one hope is that someday I will be able to come back and explore the islands I was unable to see during my stay here. My program has been life changing and I look forward to the day I will be back on the islands.

Me snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay
Tikis at Pu’uhonua o Honaunau overlooking the ocean