Catalan Cooking Class in Barcelona

Submitted by Shannon Wade on the 2018 spring semester program in Barcelona, Spain…

Not too long ago, I attended a cooking class in Barcelona to learn how to cook traditional Catalan food. I was a bit intimidated at first since I am not the best chef, but I was very eager to learn how to make some of my favorite dishes that I have enjoyed while being in Barcelona. Our chef Marco showed us step by step how to make romesco sauce which is usually served with vegetables, tortilla de patata, paella con pollo. He also taught us how to make crema Catalan for dessert which is similar to crème brulee, but made with cream instead of milk. There were a total of 12 of us in attendance at the cooking class. It took us almost 2 1/2 hours to prepare all the food which is the longest I have ever spent making food especially with so many people. This made me realize how particular and precise Catalan food needs to be in order for it to taste the way it does. Catalans hardly use any spices in their foods, so vegetables are a main component to flavor every dish. I was amazed to learn how vegetables can add so much flavor to food, especially since I come from a Jamaican heritage where we use countless spices in all our main dishes. After the 2 ½ hours when the food was finally cooked, it tasted amazing. I saved all the recipes and can’t wait to make it for all my family and friends when I return home.

Tortilla de Patata and Bread with a tomato sauce, olive oil, and salt
Crema Catalan
Paella con Pollo