Spain: Faith, Spirit and Love

Submitted by Dakota Edwards on the 2017 summer session program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

My first impressions of the Corpus Christi procession on 15 June were, admittedly, superficial. It was hot and crowded. At 11:30 am, men and women with candles and far too dark clothing for a 100 degree day were passing by, sometimes singing. I was excited, anticipating something incredible, but I think the energy was coming more from the crowd than myself; this was the point when I realized that what caught my attention was not the impressive statues, beautiful clothing or music. It was the people. People cheered as the “body of Christ” passed, crossing themselves and praying. They were so moved by the moment that many did not even take out phones or cameras. That, to me, was truly special. I am not religious. And if I was, I doubt, I would be Catholic. But Corpus Christi was much more than that. It was an international community (I met a family from Poland!) of faith and spirit and love, and I am very glad to have been a witness to it.

Corpus Christi “throne” carried underneath by a team of young, male worshipers
Statues of Los Reyes Catolicos (the Catholic Monarchs), Ferdinand and Isabella