Quiet Week in Washington, D.C.

Submitted by Rony Baltazar-Lopez on the 2017 spring semester program in Washington, D.C. …

The quote “time flies when you’re having fun” really hit me this week in particular, as I am now into my 10th week in Washington, D.C., and I will be leaving soon. This week and next week, Congress is in recess which means that besides having the ability to wear casual clothes and leaving the office earlier, lawmakers are back in their home state. Although work has been slow, one of the perks is that staff members are allowed to access the Speaker of the House’s Balcony, and so I was able to see the gorgeous city from it. The feeling of empowerment, and general sense of being on the Balcony is indescribable. The weather has been amazing as well which has been much needed due to the political climate that has overwhelmed the nation within these past few days.

This week in Washington, D.C., the United States Congress is in its second week of recess. I took advantage of the lenient week and headed to the African American History Museum on Wednesday which is located on the Mall, and right beside the Washington Monument. Congressional staff were allowed in before regular hours to visit, and so my roommate and I decided to go. The museum contains four floors: the bottom floor is dedicated to the history of slavery; the second floor is dedicated to African American women’s suffrage movements as well as the civil rights movement; the third floor is dedicated to a small gallery featuring a dance floor; and the fourth floor is dedicated to African American musical and artistic culture. No matter how informed one is about African American history, the museum is overwhelming with details, visual imagery and sculpture that goes deeply into the history of African Americans. It was a valuable experience, and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the area.