Italy: Time Abroad & Changing Visions of Life

Submitted by Nikki Dombrowski on the 2017 spring semester program in Rome, Italy…

I always had a plan for my life. I knew exactly what type of university I wanted to attend, what age I thought would be appropriate to marry, and where I wanted to work for the rest of my life. I saw myself staying near my home in New Jersey and commuting to a non-profit in New York City everyday. I knew I wanted to live in a big home with a beautiful porch and a lot of yard space. I pictured spending my summers at the Jersey shore relaxing with family and friends on the beaches that I am so familiar with.

To my surprise, my goals and visions for my life have been changing drastically throughout my time abroad. I am slowly realizing that there is not one correct way to live. I now envision myself traveling for my career, especially in Italy. Instead, I can now see myself living in an old-fashioned Italian apartment building in a beautiful city like Rome, Milan or Genoa. I can imagine spending my summers exploring European cities, rather than doing the same that I have grown up doing. I desire change, learning and new experiences. My mind is open to what is to come and I am nervous, but excited to see where this new path leads me. Being here satisfies my goals and values in a different, but good way. I believe that study abroad is meant to spark these changes within; to surprise you, to inspire you and to help you reach your full potential. The most important thing is to reflect on the changes within yourself throughout your time abroad. Therefore, my advice to others is take a lot of photos, journal your thoughts and pay attention to all of the little things.