U.S. Virgin Islands: Annaberg

Submitted by Katie Garber on the 2017 winter session program in the British Virgin Islands sponsored by the College of Health Sciences…

Pictured below is a windmill that sits on the grounds of Annaberg which once was a sugar plantation and factory on the island of St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. As we walked through the ruins, it was an eerie feeling to wonder who once walked the same path as us. Many slaves were forced to work in Annaberg’s hot and humid environment and most were often harmed as well. Our tour guide told us a story of one slave who lost his arm trying to throw the sugar cane into the crusher. Countless slaves died of heat stroke, dehydration and exhaustion. Many female slaves were raped and beaten by their owners. The stories of those no longer alive were haunting and I couldn’t help, but feel unwelcome on this plantation.

This was also our last week in the British Virgin Islands/U.S. Virgin Islands. I have learned countless things while abroad- from the culture to healthcare beliefs to personal effects. I will cherish my memories and experiences throughout my lifetime!