New Zealand: Feeling Grateful

Submitted by Kevin Jones on the 2017 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Computer and Information Sciences…

There are an endless number of things I could take away from my experiences in New Zealand. Traveling around the South Island to see the beautiful landscapes left me without words on numerous occasions. Working with the children to teach them computer science challenged my abilities and left me stunned by what they were able to accomplish. Learning about the Maori culture gave me a new found appreciation for native cultures and sparked an interest in me to learn more about these cultures at home and around the world. Along with these many experiences, I am very glad to have spent this time with all of the other students from UD, who I feel have all grown together and I know there are many friendships that will last beyond New Zealand. Finally, I feel the need to share my gratefulness for being a part of this incredible study abroad program. On my flight home I could only think about all of the work that has gone into bringing me from the East Coast of the United States to New Zealand’s South Island. From the study abroad program at UD, the professors that planned the program, and the contacts in New Zealand that helped shape my experience, to all of the advances in our world that have allowed me to travel to the other side of Earth, I express my gratitude. As I begin my transition to living in the real world, I hope I can use all that I have learned to help shape a future that will be a benefit to myself and others. Again, thank you to all that have helped create this once in a lifetime experience