France: Experiences in Learning In & Out of the Classroom

Submitted by Riley Thomas on the 2016 fall semester study abroad program in Paris, France…

As of writing this, I have now spent over a full month in Paris. More than a full month away from my family and friends, in a whole new country, speaking an entirely different language, it feels simultaneously like both a lifetime I have been here and a few passing days. While the past month has been full of surprises, no surprise is bigger than how much I am constantly learning.

I am attending school at the Insitut Catholique de Paris (ICP) as part of their Intsitut de Langue et de Culture Francaises; in other words, I’m a part of international classes with other students trying to improve their French just like me. Not only am I taking my required French language courses, but we have civilization courses as well, all taught in French. After having taken three weeks of classes at the ICP, I have noticed some pretty big differences between university life here in France compared to back at UD. First, the ICP is for the most part a commuter school. While there are some dorms offered, a vast majority of students, myself included, live off-campus. Residence hall life and student organizations aren’t really a part of the college experience. That isn’t to say, however, that there aren’t any social opportunities for students. The courtyard and cafeteria are always packed with students – both French and international – hanging out, working and eating. Additionally, there are outside events that students can take part in such as cooking workshops.

Another large difference is the length of classes. While I’ve had three hour studio classes at UD, each of my classes at ICP is three hours long and meets once a week. This means you have lots of information to absorb each class period, but a week in between each class to do your homework and study. A really cool part of being part of the international program is having classes where students come from all over the world and our shared language is the language we are learning together. Also, getting to hear our professors explain the definitions of French words we may not know in French rather than using the English translation gives me a better grasp on the exact connotation for these words, especially if there isn’t an exact translation to English.

Other opportunities for learning don’t just come in the classroom, however. I find some of my most poignant experiences come from everyday life. From dinners with my host family to going out with my friends and a group of language exchange partners, I am always learning new and interesting phrases as well as tidbits about French culture and current events. In return, I am able to offer the same regarding English and American culture. This exchange is what I find most valuable and has led to many nights around the dinner table researching seemingly mundane things such as blueberries or acorns in order to figure out if we had all been on the same page. Learning the current slang and working up the courage to incorporate new words into my everyday vocabulary is also a big part of my everyday life, and while frustrating at times – the amount of American slang and colloquialisms my host sister and her friends know is leagues beyond where I am – I am always grateful for the help.

All in all, I can’t believe how far I’ve come on a comfort and confidence level and I’m excited to see what these next two months hold.

desk-in-paris-riley-thomas-16f-paris-sm