France: Bread and Berets: What more could you ask for?

Submitted by Kaitlyn Diehl on the 2016 fall semester study abroad program in Paris, France…

Stereotypes are an intriguing facet of cultures because they all find their roots in some form of truth. As ludicrous as it seems to pinpoint Paris as the city of baguettes and frômage (cheese), I can’t help, but observe the inordinate amount of bread and cheese consumed in this city. To say that Parisians don’t carry a loaf of bread around at all times would be… well, a lie. Okay maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but take this evening for example. I was waiting for the elevator in my apartment along with a fellow resident when she all of a sudden pulled out a baguette and started to chow down. The situation felt so cliche that I almost let out a snort. There’s bread for dinner, bread for breakfast, bread on every street corner. America runs on Dunkin™ and France runs on bread.

Perhaps the most prominent Parisian stereotype to graze the United States would be that of the “fashionable city.” Does it check out? For the most part it does, but not in the way that an outsider would imagine. My daily trek to school does not leave me stepping on Louis Vuitton heels in the metro or running into Gigi Hidad on her way to work. Instead, I am confronted with ordinary people who look their ordinary best. We can’t all have the face of an angel, but we can at least work with what we are given. The Parisians understand this concept and run with it. Sloppy sweatpants and that T-shirt you won at a 5K two years ago will never grace the public eye. Flip flops and short-shorts are a fashion faux pas among countless other tasteless American trends. After spending three weeks in this city, I’ve realized that the Parisian bar is not very high, it’s just that the American bar does not exist. Of course, we have standards in the work place and at school, but when I start to ponder some of the outfits I’ve seen at my local Acme or Walmart, I start to understand the reputation we have abroad. With the rare exception, most Parisians are dressed nice: Scarves, trendy jackets, clean shoes, a bit of make-up, etc. Always presentable.

Karlie Kloss
Karlie Kloss

If we’re going to delve into the segment of fashion that got France its reputation, let’s talk about Fashion Week. THIS is the time to step on Luis Vuitton heels and run into Gigi on the streets. Starting on September 27th and ending October 5th, fashion week is basically the reveal of this season’s latest trends by the biggest designers around town. All kinds of fashionistas and celebrities come out of the woodwork in order to attend and take part in the shows. I had the pleasure of experiencing some of this madness on the streets with my host sister, Marina. Unbeknownst to me, Rue St. Honore is the new 5th avenue of Paris and the current hub of Fashion Week recipients (some would argue Champs-Élysées, but according to Marina that street has become cheap). Simply walking down the street, I found myself surrounded by outlandish attire: expensive bags, chic coats, sky scrapper shoes. The strangest outfits on the most put-together people I’d ever seen. “They’re all fake,” my host sister said. “What? Isn’t it amazing though?” I’d responded. “Yes, but it’s not real. They’re all trying to be a person they’re not.” Her commentary had my brain twisting. I was finally witnessing the grandiose fashion world of Paris, and here my Parisian host sister was debunking it all. For a split second, I felt a tinge of disappointment, but soon enough I was more than happy to discover the secret. Paris and its people were not placed on this planet to resurrect the masses with name brands and bread. My host mom is real and my host sister is real, and sometimes the streets smell like pee and the sky is dark and rainy. That’s okay. All of the time the architecture is magnificent and the food is fresh and my French family is amazing. Stereotypes may show us the inflated version of a city’s best and worst qualities, but when it comes down to it, all of those things make the place something special.

pasteries-paris-kaitlyn-diehl-16f-paris-sm