Lost & Found in Salamanca, Spain

Submitted by Amanda Flagg on the 2016 summer session program in Salamanca, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

Today is July 18th. After class, I followed my normal routine and went home to eat lunch with my host parents. Instead of taking my normal siesta, I wanted to go to the library to get homework done and to study for my midterms. Because this week is in the middle of the academic month, I have a lot of assignments. I had asked our program director the library hours and location and she said that it was open for 24 hours. I felt independent and like a true Spaniard as I navigated my way back to the Old City where the University sits, I even stopped for ice cream to cool off a bit and enjoy on my walk. Fast forward 15 minutes and I had finished my ice cream, but I still hadn’t been able to find the library. I walked up to two women and asked them where it was. They didn’t know, but called over someone who did. They gave me directions and I walked while feeling accomplished that I could switch in between languages quickly.

I still couldn’t find the building, and I even asked a third person for help. This shop owner told me that it was the next door down (so close!) so I walked there only to find that it was locked. Combined with the heat of the middle of the day (it was 99 degrees), I started to feel frustrated and angry. Acknowledging that I was getting angry in such a beautiful place only made me more mad. I just wanted to study! I started to walk away when I noticed another girl also trying to open the door and I heard her make a disappointed sigh. In Spanish, I asked her if she was also trying to do work. She told me yes and we started talking. It turns out that she is one class away from being a professor at the University of Salamanca and is best friends with my Culture Professor, Yeray. She told me that there is a nice café, Manolita, around the corner and that she was going to go there. I asked her if I could tag along and she said yes. While walking, we had the best conversation about Salamanca and she told me that although I’ve only been here for a few weeks, my Spanish was excellent. I felt happy and confident again. The truth is, I still feel a little self-conscious when holding a conversation for a while, especially when I talk to a native speaker.

Side Street Salamanca Amanda Flagg 16J Salamanca Spain DLLC sm

When we got to “Manolita” she told me that the reason she loved it so much was because it reminded her of “Central Perk” in the television show ‘Friends.’ My whole face lit up! I told her that not only did I love that show too, but that the University of Delaware has it’s very own ‘Central Perk’ on Main Street.

Manolita Coffee shop Salamanca 2 Amanda Flagg 16J Salamanca Spain DLLC smManolita Coffee shop Salamanca Amanda Flagg 16J Salamanca Spain DLLC sm

We both ordered coffee and worked for a few hours. Eventually, my new friend left and I stayed to relax and finish what I was doing. I also started to write in my personal study abroad blog. After reflecting for a moment, I realized that something I missed so far while being here was my alone time. Just sitting here in this café, I felt rejuvenated again. My heart strings are being pulled on here and I don’t want to leave. I feel comfortable in my own skin, even more so here. I remembered how happy I am when I explore on my own. I genuinely like talking to new people and developing friendships and connections.Coffee shop Salamanca Amanda Flagg 16J Salamanca Spain DLLC sm

The brief period of frustration and loss of direction was a blessing in disguise. Also, ‘Manolita’ has free wifi for as long as you’re there, unlike most cafés here that have an hour limit and you can only use the code for one device. Sure, I lost my way for a moment, but what I gained in a few short hours: a friend, a new, secret spot to study and relax, a feeling of comfort, was more than worth it!