Adjusting to Life in Granada, Spain

Submitted by Mackenzie McCracken on the 2016 summer session program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

My first week in Granada, Spain was an adventure. It’s my first time being in Europe and traveling abroad. My first full day in Granada was filled with touring the city and the school I will be attending for the next month. It was a lot to take in, but the excitement of being here makes everything seem like an adventure. I was fascinated by the style of the buildings. On our walking tour of the city, we learned that the buildings have an Arabic influence. They have beautiful designs and dimensions unlike in the U.S. The city is smaller than most cities in Spain, but to me it seemed huge. Our guide assured me and my ten other classmates that we would learn the city in no time. The next day which was Friday was the first day of classes. We basically just got acquainted and learned how the weeks to come would unfold.Isabel Catolica Statue Granada Mackenzie McCracken 16J Granada, Spain DLLC sm

I am staying with a host family with another girl in my group. My host mom is so nice and a great cook. We get all three meals from her which are huge compared to what I am used to. I thought Europeans ate smaller portions, but here in Spain they eat huge lunches and dinners. Speaking of which, dinner is at nine or ten o’clock compared to my five-thirty or six o’clock dinner at home. It only took me about two days to get used to the food schedule, but catching up on sleep has been different. The good thing is here in Spain or at least in Granada is “siesta time” which is a nap time from about two in the afternoon until about five. This allowed me to catch up on sleep and has become a part of my daily routine. The weather in Granada is very hot during this time of year so everyone stays inside and naps until it becomes cooler.Rooftop Granada Mackenzie McCracken 16J Granada, Spain DLLC sm