Theatrical London

Submitted by Anne Grae Martin on the 2015 fall semester study abroad program in London, England…

First, I want to say that this week was saddened by the events in Paris. Paris is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to; the architecture, the museums, the culture, the language, the food and the people are all so wonderful. My thoughts and sympathies have been with them.

This week,the professors have begun to talk about final papers. It made me realize that my time here really is dwindling, but with that in mind, I have tried to make the most of the time I have left here.

This week my class went to see The Woman in Black at the Fortune Theatre. It was a horror play (I did not know this genre existed for plays) and it really was scary. I think it was more scary seeing a horror play than a movie. With a movie, you know the monsters are stuck on the screen, but the cast members made frequent trips into the audience and you never really felt safe. The actors did a wonderful job with the show. After the show, we got to talk with the two of the actors in the show –  Tom Godwin and his father, Christopher Godwin. It was interesting to talk to this pair and to get their insight on the show.

Students & Godwins Anne Grae Martin 15F London sm

After the play,  I met up with my friend who was visiting London for the weekend. We went to high school together and were both studying in Europe (she is in Spain) so we decided to have a mini-reunion. It was so nice to see an old friend. What was nicer was getting to show her all of my favorite places that I have discovered over the past two and a half months. I had also been saving some of the big tourist stops so I could go to see them with her.

The two highlights of this weekend were going to Platform 9 ¾ at King’s Cross Station and the London Aquatics Centre. Now Platform 9 ¾  is the magical platform where Harry Potter boards the train to go to Hogwarts in the Harry Potter books. King’s Cross has set up a little carriage that looks like it is half way into the wall (in the movie you run through the wall to get to the Hogwarts Express). I grew up with Harry Potter. I had Harry Potter birthday parties, several of the movies came out on my birthday, and the books were what started my love of reading. Getting to go to the small homage to Harry Potter was one of my bucket list items.

Hogwarts Express Anne Grae Martin 15F London sm

The next day, we went to the London Aquatics Centre, the pool where the London 2012 Summer Olympics was hosted. This was another bucket list item of mine. I swam in the same pool that Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte swam in. It was the most beautiful pool I have ever swum in. I learned to swim practically before I could walk, I swam for my high school team as an 8th grader, I swam all through high school, I have lifeguarded for the past six summers, I’ve taught swim lessons, and I swim for the University of Delaware Club Team. I love swimming.

London Aquatics Centre Anne Grae Martin 15F London sm

On our way to the pool, we accidentally stumbled upon a Winter Festival in the mall. They had bands playing, people singing and dancing, holiday lights, Christmas trees, and free popcorn and cotton candy (or candy floss). While the events I had planned were fun, this unexpected surprise festival was just as fun. There is always something going on in London. If you are bored, walk a block and you will find something new and amazing.