Leading the Hike in Spain

Submitted by Alyssa Tate on the 2015 summer session program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures…

Until this trip, to me, travel had always been about relaxation. However, the non-stop exploration and sight-seeing of the past few days have given me a zeal for doing, not relaxing. The tour of the Albaicín yesterday was awe-inspiring. I like to learn, but as a science major, I tend to write-off history as a topic not relevant to me, so I did not approach the tour with as much anticipation as it deserved. Once it began and the first stop, the Arab baths, were so ancient and had such an interesting history, I was hooked and in awe at the complex history of the Albaicín. The tour itself was so enjoyable that getting to the top of the neighborhood and taking in the view of the Alhambra was an unexpected surprise. 

Alhambra Alyssa Tate 15J Granada sm

After the tour, the group split up and I was able to navigate the city alone with some friends. The more opportunities I have to explore on my own, the more I am comfortable and confident in my exploring and traveling abilities. In less than a week, I have grown from a child depending only on my parents for planning trips, to a student who has been bitten by the travel bug and is eager to take in all Spain has to offer. As a result, I chose today to follow the slightly vague instructions of my host mother and hike 7 miles to the town Pino Geníl. If someone had told me a week ago that I would be leading a group of friends along a foreign trail, I would not have believed them. However, Granada is so safe and has so many sites available to experience, that I have become confident in my ability to explore on my own. This confidence would not exist if my Spanish speaking skills had not improved so much in only 6 days. Staying with a host mother, in combination with classes, has given me the opportunity to apply my knowledge of the language in a way that makes me comfortable using it in public.

Valley of the Genil Alyssa Tate 15J Granada sm