Happy to See Family in Rome

Submitted by Stephen Harris on the 2015 spring semester study abroad program in Rome, Italy…

You think that you’re grateful when your family visits you at college and offers you something better than the $3 McMeals you’ve been surviving on. You think that it’s a lifesaver. You have no idea how much that gratitude is multiplied when they come across seas to visit.

My father, two sisters, grandma, and her friend came down here to tour the city of Rome and visit with me for a week. I got to see a bunch of the city that I previously would have skirted because of my frugal nature (restaurants, mainly). And I got to act as their tour guide around Rome, showing them what was good to eat, what was impressive to see, and even busting out my kindergarten-level of Italian here and there.

Overall, it was a fantastic visit. I didn’t realize just how homesick I was until I spent a week exploring Rome alongside my family, and now that they’re gone, I’m no longer dreading leaving this wonderful city as much as I used to.

Harris Family in Rome Stephen Harris 15S Rome sm