Saying Good-bye to Brazil

Submitted by David Arroyo on the 2015 winter session program in Brazil sponsored by the Department of Art History and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures…

Unfortunately my program is coming to an end! 

Last Wednesday, I was able to participate in a caipoeira session which was really amazing! Although I was not very good at it, I loved being exposed to this new culture and admired the sounds and rhythms of Africa mixed together with the Brazilian fighting style. It was truly one of my favorite experiences here. 

This past weekend, we had many excursions. Some of the sites that we saw included the botanical gardens, the mosaic stairs in Lapa, the view from Sugar Loaf Mountain, a soccer match at São Januario, and a carnival rehearsal at the Sambadrome. These sites were very enjoyable, and allowed me to discover more of this beautiful city.

Mosaic Stairs Lapa David Arroyo 15W Brazil ARTH FLLT sm

On my own this week, I managed to head over to Christ the Redeemer one last time, to see the beautiful 360 view of Rio. Although it was raining, the view still captured me. I also climbed Sugar Loaf Mountain, where I saw the sunset of the city from on top. This last week, I have been spending some time with locals that I met, to enjoy their company for a bit and to say my last good-byes. I cannot believe how fast this program went, but I enjoyed every second of it! Brazilian Church David Arroyo 15W Brazil ARTH FLLT sm

While I was standing alone on top of Corcovado, next to the Christ the Redeemer statue. I began to reflect on this trip and on all of the lessons that I’ve learned here. I’ve learned that things aren’t always going to go perfect and to be content with the situation. I’ve also developed the skill of navigating my way through an unknown area by seeking friendly faces and asking questions, to receive the correct information. I’ve learned how to use the bus and metro systems. I’ve adapted to the new situation around me, and I feel that this experience was necessary for me to develop that skill. More profoundly, I’ve learned that in whatever situation or circumstance that I may face, God will always be there accepting me with open arms, a beautiful message that can be interpreted by looking at Christ the Redeemer. 

Christ the Redeemer Statue Rio David Arroyo 15W Brazil ARTH FLLT sm

As a student, I feel like this experience was much needed, and I completely recommend it to anyone else looking to study abroad. It has been my best experience in college yet, and I am very grateful for the opportunity. 

Today is our last day. I am both excited to see my family, but also heart-broken because I don’t want to leave this beautiful place!