Venice

Submitted by Stephen Harris on the 2015 spring semester study abroad program in Rome, Italy…

When I first came to Rome, I thought I’d found the most Italian city out there. Cobblestone paths, swerving streets, drivers blasting past at breakneck speeds without breaking for anything–it was all a lot to take in.

But Rome was still a city, albeit an exotic flavor of one. Venice was a whole new dish.

For one, there were no cars at all. Boats were the main source of transportation, from the waterbuses that transported you from island to island to the motorboats that drifted among the canals. The architecture had that same cramped, packed in style I’d come to see so much of in Rome, but even tighter than usual. 

Venice Canal Stephen Harris 15S Rome sm

The whole city is a marvel though. After returning to Rome with these sights in mind, I’m starting to get a firmer grasp on what makes these places “Italian” at their heart. All in all, I recommend traveling there as soon as you can. Grab an espresso shot, eat a kebab, and stop by an art gallery. It’s well worth the effort.