Paris: A Dream Come True

Submitted by Erin Leitner on the 2014 summer session program in Belgium and France sponsored by the Department of English…

How do I describe Paris? The City of Light? The City of Love? Paris rightly deserves these titles, but it is so much more.

The first corner of the highway gave me a glimpse. My first view  of the Eiffel Tower hit me as hard as that. I gasped suddenly and exhaled tears. I was here.  I stared at that structure during the whole hour of traffic we sat through.  I never wanted it to escape my sight. My curiosity for the city of Paris was insatiable. I threw down my stuff, grabbed my camera and ran out the door. I charged my way through the crowds, metro and bus system to make my way to the center of the city. I stood there, breathed it all in and beamed with excitement. Then the overwhelming feeling happened. Now what? Notre Dame? The catacombs? The Louvre? Moulin Rouge? Palace of Justice? Versailles? Eiffel Tower? Arc de Triomphe? Sacre Coeur?  So, I did what my Mom always taught me. I made a list and I am proud to say that list turned into lines after only three days.

Along with my group, I made my way to the very top of my ‘Tracy List’ of Paris. Naturally, as I learned Paris likes to do, I turned to be smacked right in the face with what I was searching for. Towering over me and my newly formed friends was Notre Dame Cathedral. I cannot truly explain what I felt that day. I was so happy to know it was exactly how I imagined it. The design, the statues and the windows made tears fall from my eyes. As I wandered into the cathedral, the overwhelming realization happened. I’m in Paris. The place I’ve wanted to go to since I was nine for this exact reason: to see Notre Dame. (I could go on for hours about how I felt in the 900 year old church ,but I’ll move on).

My view from Notre Dame (not bad huh?)
My view from Notre Dame (not bad huh?)

My time in Paris had just begun and there was so much more to explore. As the four days progressed, I made my way through the city. I experienced so much in so little time that would change my life. I have two specific stories I would like to share with you about that journey in Paris.

The first needs no introduction: the Palace at Versailles. The amount of design, gold, filigree and paintings is enough to make anyone’s head explode. Most walk around in circles, mouths gaping and eyes blank. I actually had to remind myself several times to actually take a photo. I just wanted to stare forever. As Elise, Joan, Mary and I channeled our best Marie Antoinette and Nathan channeled his King Louis XVI, we glided from room to room. The paintings, sculptures and busts depicted the glamour and power of the era. I imagined living Marie’s lifestyle; running through the gardens, dancing in the ballrooms and holding extravagant parties. It was if we were all invited to the party of the century. I felt so bonded to the group I explored with. We truly played in Versailles and tasted the lifestyle. It was such a great feeling to see such an incredible place with incredible people.

Nathan, Mary, Elise & I in the Hall of Mirrors

The second story that I would like to share is the night we went to the Eiffel Tower. After our group dinner (Thanks, Drs. Barua!), we made our way to the symbol of Paris. For many of us, it was our first time seeing the Eiffel Tower lit up. As we turned the corner, I gasped at the sight of the tower cutting through the night sky (buildings tend to jump out at me). An unbelievable amount of yellow lights flowed through the angles and points of it. A single circling spotlight at the top carved its way through the cloudy sky. I must have tripped at least ten times walking down the path to get closer. I would not take my eyes off of it. It’s a good thing I didn’t because at midnight, flashing white lights scattered their way up and down the structure. The large crowd swarming towards it ceased. In silence, my friends and I just gazed at the sparkling diamonds.

I have never seen a more beautiful thing in my life.

I am so grateful for all of the things that this study abroad program has given me: new and incredible friends, a curiosity slowly being quenched and that moment under the Eiffel Tower. My words are nothing compared to experiencing it for yourself. So get out there.

Explore more,  eat more, talk more and LIVE more.

Students under Eiffel Tower Erin Leitner 14J Belgium France ENGL sm