Purchasing Gifts in London for Friends at Home

Submitted by Jordyn Levison on the 2014 spring semester study abroad program in London, England…

I cannot believe how rapidly the end of the semester is approaching. This past weekend was our second to last weekend, but unfortunately the majority of it was spent writing papers and preparing for finals. All of my roommates had family or friends visiting, so I decided to do some more exploring on my own. Since the weather was absolutely gorgeous, I went to visit Brixton: a district of southwest London that has a rich Caribbean culture and an amazing history. I actually got to walk down Electric Avenue, which according to several online sources was the first market street to be lit by electricity (and it’s also the focus of the song by Eddy Grant!). In the Brixton markets, you can buy cheap produce and fish from vendors of all different cultures: African, Caribbean, Asian, and Middle Eastern to name a few. I even got 9 bananas for a pound! After visiting this area of Brixton, I returned to Camden Market to buy gifts for friends back at home. I got everything from London key chains and socks with Union Jacks to Egyptian coin purses and Persian jewelry. I ate the most incredible Peruvian street food—rice, chicken, and roasted vegetables in a delicious savory sauce. Unfortunately, Passover is about to start and although I cannot be with my family, I look forward to the Seder that my friend and I will be attending at the local Chabad!