News, Events, and Announcements for the UD GIS community, Winter 2014
- The State of Delaware has launched its FirstMap enterprise GIS. This should ultimately function as a replacement for the much-loved-but-retired Delaware DataMIL. At the moment FirstMap is mostly useful for feature and image services, with downloadable vector layers still only available through the Delaware Geospatial Data Exchange. Imagery Years available are: 1937, 1954, 1961, 1968, 1997, 2002, 2007, and 2012.
- A Delaware geocoding service has been published on Maryland’s “iMap” geospatial data site. This is the best geocoding service to use until we have a State of Delaware offering.
- The State of Delaware is seeking input on aerial imagery needs/feedback on collection specifications
Collaborations, Publications, and Honors
- Delaware Geological Survey is taking advantage of the ArcGIS Online subscription to serve a tile service for mobile device data collection, in the field
- We’ve set up an ArcGIS Server 10.2 instance, running on a Centos VM, for use by Facilities and hosting legacy projects. There may be opportunities for collaboration. Facilities is using data created by the Delaware T2 Center/Civil Engineering students, using ArcPad.
- We’re working with Byungyun Yang (Geography) on setting up an ArcGIS Server instance for Geography. There may be opportunities for collaboration.
- Cathy Geiger (Geography) and I developed an installation procedure for a software stack including Python, ArcPy, and various OSGeo4W components, including GDAL. For more information, contact email@example.com
- Ongoing work on USDA “Lima Bean” grant. Current stack includes: leaflet, msyql, and cake php
- The State of Delaware is looking for organizations interested in partnering on a LIDAR feature dataset (i.e., building footprints).
- We have released a new UDeploy which includes all UD-licensed software, including geospatial software, in one location
- ArcGIS (arcpy), and ENVI/IDL are now available on Farber, UD’s newest community compute cluster.
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 and ArcPro 1.0 are available for limited pre-release evaluation
- 12/18/14: 9am – 10am, “Guiding Delaware’s GIS Future”, Haslet Amory, Dover, DE or Online
- 7/20-7/24/15: Esri International Users Conference, San Diego, CA
Past Events and Webinars
- ICPSR’s 2014 Data Fair took place in October. Some of the more relevant presentations were
- The recordings of presentations for OSGIS 2014 “Building up Open Access, Open Education and Open Data for Open Science” are now available at https://lecturecapture.nottingham.ac.uk:8443/ess/portal/section/02fba582-968a-4437-b279-f9e76072e544
- Call for Proposals: Department of the Interior, Geological Survey, 3D Elevation Program (3DEP), Modification 7
- Call for Proposals: Department of Commerce, JCSDA – 2015 Research in Satellite Data Assimilation for Numerical Environmental Prediction Grant
- Do you need ArcGIS downloads or DVD’s for your students for Winter 2014 or Spring 2015? Please let me know.
- Call for Papers: Spatial Cognition and Computation: Special Issue on Visually-Supported Spatial Reasoning with Uncertainty
Area/Forwarded Job Postings (if no link, email me firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll forward the email announcements)
- Lecturer, University of Maryland Department of Geographical Sciences, Center for Geospatial Information Science
Recent UD GIS Blog posts and Tweets
UD GIS @UDelGIS Excellent video that @ITatUD put out this fall … very helpful for running ArcGIS on Mac http://udcapture.udel.edu/misc/it-css/?t=0e42a91d94d236de0b9fe084dd8643e1
As always, please let me know if you have any questions or ideas that you’d like to discuss