News, events, and announcements for the UD GIS community, November 2012
- We’ve installed ArcGIS Server on the Mills HPC Community Cluster, for large geoprocessing jobs. Utilizing this kind of multi-core, multi-node hardware does require some additional work, though. Please fill out this form to help us learn what kinds of geoprocessing jobs you run most frequently and take the longest to complete; this will help us gauge how to best direct our effects on HPC GIS. Though we will be gearing this towards Mills, the work we do will also help you run these jobs faster on your own computer, by utilizing the multiple cores that are now common in PCs. This is your opportunity to get some free consulting on your most time consuming tasks!
- Updates from the Delaware Geographic Data Committee
- The DGDC has drafted a 10-year collection timeline proposal for collection/processing of aerials, LIDAR, and LULC. They will be gathering use cases from stakeholders, in support of the proposal.
- DE Public Schools (K-12) have obtained an Esri site license.
- The 5th annual GIS Day fieldtrip for grade school children will take place on November 14, 2012 at the Air Mobility Command Museum in Dover, Delaware. This field trip consists of 16 various stations created and taught by volunteers from the GIS community of Delaware. All stations are designed to create awareness and enhance the students’ GIS knowledge and how GIS affects everyday life.
- ArcGIS 10.1 Service Pack 1 is now available from the UD GIS software page.
- Business Analyst 10.1, including new data for 2012, is available from the UD GIS software page.
- New 2012 aerial imagery is now available from the State of Delaware. We will be obtaining this data via mail, on hard drive, as it is not yet available for transfer via the internet. Please let us know if you are interested in using this data.
- The USGS has posted new pre/post-Sandy imagery and DEM on their Hazards Distribution System . I believe this is over a 30 day period (pre-Hurricane) and over a 600 meter swath focused on barrier islands. They’ve also recently posted imagery from the earthquake in Guatamala, and the Gulf oil spill.
- USDA has updated its NRCS soils data which you can obtain here http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm. They have also developed a new app that allows the user to find detailed soil information on their current location within 100 ft precision.
- The US Census has released its American Community Survey 2011 1-year and 3-year estimates. The 5-year estimates are due out in December. Visit this page for more information on the ACS estimates.
New and Updated Esri Virtual Campus Courses (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for free access)
- Updates to existing virtual campus courses have been posted for ArcGIS 10.1
Other New Webinars
- 11/15 11a-12p: Maximize the Value of Raster Data Using FME
- 11/16-11/18/12: GIS & Spatial Thinking in the Undergraduate Curriculum, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- 12/13-12/14/12: NHD Training, Maryland DOE
- 2/15/13 10a-4p: Digital Humanities Workshop Series: Getting Humanities Research “on the Map”
- 6/4-6/7/13: Spatial Statistics 2013 Ohio State Columbus, OH
Area/Forwarded Job Postings (if no link, email me email@example.com, and I’ll forward the email announcements)
- GIS/Software Development Intern DELASOFT Newark, DE
As always, please let me know if you have any questions or ideas that you’d like to discuss