General Purpose Classrooms
|Section:||Facilities, Real Estate and Auxiliary Services Policies|
|Policy Name:||General Purpose Classrooms|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management|
|Origination Date:||April 15, 1975|
|Revisions:||June 5, 1989; June 9, 2005|
|Legacy Policy Number:||2-03|
- PURPOSETo establish priorities for the use of general purpose classrooms.
- POLICYThe physical facilities of the University of Delaware have been provided to enable the institution to carry out its responsibilities of education, research and public service, in accord with the University Charter and Trustee Resolutions.
Recognizing that the University of Delaware cannot honor all of the many requests it receives from campus groups for the use of facilities in support of numerous activities, the following policies are established:
- Those activities within the broad definitions of educations, research, and public service which the University initiates have priority over all other uses of the institution’s physical facilities. University, in this context, means a college, division, department or other official administrative or service unit, a recognized employee organization, or a recognized student organization.
- When space is available, a campus group may be granted the use of general purpose classrooms provided the activity is sponsored by a college, division, department or other official administrative or service unit, a recognized employee organization, or a recognized student organization, and provided the group agrees to observe the policies and procedures governing the use of University facilities. A request to schedule academic classrooms should be submitted to the Scheduling Office, by the supervising University employee. The request should include the dates of the event, event start and end times, type of event, estimated attendance, and the requested areas.
- See Food & Beverage Services Policy for Academic Buildings.
- Campus groups using general purpose classrooms must absorb all costs associated with their activities including custodial service, labor, security and conference arrangements.
- The use of general purpose classrooms by campus groups must not interfere with or prevent the use of the facilities for the regular instructional program or for scheduled co-curricular activities.
- The use of general purpose classrooms solely for fund-raising purposes shall be limited.
- Furniture may not be removed from any reserved space. A reserved space is to be returned to its original condition before leaving. If additional time is required by Building Services to remove trash, return furniture to its original location or to clean, the requesting department will be billed.
- The University may refuse the use of its facilities to campus groups that otherwise would be eligible where the proposed activity would require an unreasonable amount of University supervision or service or where there is a question concerning the safety of the participants or of University property.