Removal of Dangerous Material
|Section:||Campus Safety and Security Policies|
|Policy Name:||Removal of Dangerous Material|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Environmental Health and Safety|
|Origination Date:||April 15, 1975|
|Revisions:||June 5, 1989; April 1, 1996; January 9, 2006|
|Legacy Policy Number:||7-10|
- PURPOSETo protect the health and safety of individuals when dangerous materials which could present an imminent danger to life and health are found in University buildings.
- POLICYThe following procedure will be used when materials or items are found on University property which could present an imminent danger to life and health of the University community.
- The person discovering the material or item shall immediately notify the Department of Public Safety by calling 911.
- The Department of Public Safety shall evaluate and control the situation and shall request the assistance of other departments or agencies (Department of Environmental Health and Safety, New Castle County Fire Board, etc.) as may be appropriate.
- Unless it is of such a nature that safe storage is not possible, all material shall be evaluated for proper storage and if necessary stabilized by a technically qualified person. After stabilization, material shall be securely stored until claimed, retained as evidence or properly disposed of as described in Hazardous Waste Disposal Policy.
- The Department of Public Safety shall notify departments and administrators of the incident in accordance with established procedures.
For more information regarding this policy, contact the Department of Public Safety (ext. 2222) or the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (ext. 8475).