Personnel Records Retention Guidelines
|Section:||Human Resources Policies|
|Policy Name:||Personnel Records Retention Guidelines|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Human Resources|
|Origination Date:||September 7, 1999|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-19|
- PURPOSETo outline the procedure for handling of personnel records for terminated employees.
- POLICYThe following guidelines are used to handle the personnel file of a separated employee:
- Departmental personnel files of all terminated employees (faculty, professional, salaried staff and hourly) should be sent to the HR Systems Administration Office (87 East Main Street) as soon as practical following termination of the employee.
- HR Systems Administration Office staff will review and merge the departmental file with the institutional file in the Personnel Records Office after deletion of extraneous materials.
- The HR Systems Administration Office will retain the files for a period of one year after which time they will be transmitted to Archives.
- Archives will determine the length of time files of terminated employees will be retained.