Contingency Contracts for Faculty on Academic Year Appointment
|Policy Name:||Contingency Contracts for Faculty on Academic Year Appointment|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs|
|Origination Date:||January 2000|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-05|
- PURPOSETo provide information on the preparation of contingency contracts.
- Appointments to the faculty of the University of Delaware are made on the expectation that the candidate has completed a terminal degree. In the case of appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor, a contingent contract may be written permitting initial appointment at the rank of Lecturer if it states clearly that all requirements for the terminal degree will be fulfilled prior to reappointment at the rank of Assistant Professor. Contingent contracts are normally written for one year, but in extraordinary cases may be written for two years at the discretion of the department and dean.
- The salary differential in a contingency contract should not be less than $1,000.
- In those cases where a contingent contract is justified, the letter of appointment from the dean should include the following language:This contract is written for appointment at the rank of assistant professor contingent upon formal notification to the dean that all requirements for the doctorate (N.B.: or appropriate terminal degree), including the dissertation, have been completed by the beginning of the contract period. If this expectation is not met by the beginning of the contract period, the initial appointment will be at the rank of Lecturer, at a salary of $_________ (N.B.: an amount reduced from the original amount by not less that $1,000) for a term of one year. Upon formal notification to the dean that all requirements for the doctorate (N.B.: or appropriate terminal degree), including the dissertation, have been completed, your rank will be changed to assistant professor and your salary will be increased to the original annual rate for the remainder of the year. Should you not complete your doctorate (N.B.: or appropriate terminal degree) by May 31, 199 (N.B.: end of first academic year), your contract will expire on August 31, 199 (N.B.: end of first contract year) and no further notice of non-renewal of appointment will be required. Should the requirements be completed prior to May 31, 199 (N.B.: end of first academic year) and should a renewal appointment be proposed, the renewal appointment may be at the rank of assistant professor and may be for a two-year period. Eligibility to be considered for tenure does not begin until the first full academic year of appointment as assistant professor.
- Promotions and increments, if any, in subsequent years will be in accordance with regular University policy. Only the initial contract may be written as a contingency contract, and all contingency provisions lapse at the end of the first year.