University of Delaware

UDaB 2017: Apply Today!

How to Build a Better Break

Step 1. Wake Up

Every spring break for 4 years I traveled 45 minutes home to my parent’s house and slept off the first half of the Spring semester. I slept, and slept, and slept. I can’t say it was productive, but it left me well-rested and ready to finish out those last 8 weeks.

Looking back, I should have considered service. Instead of dreaming my way through break, I could have been building a trail through the forests of West Virginia or constructing new homes with Habitat for Humanity in Georgia.

Don’t make the mistake that I did. Instead, participate in one of UD’s most transformational experiences—a spring break trip where you serve the community, build connections with peers, and make personal discoveries that foster your growth into an engaged citizen.

Even if UDaB isn’t for you in 2017, there are plenty of ways to get involved with service on campus and in the community. Check out our student page, and the UDaB page for more information about service.

Step 2. Find Your Fit

University of Delaware Alternative Break (UDaB) is UD’s largest opportunity to travel and participate in service during spring and winter breaks. The student-run organization was founded in 2010 and has been growing ever since.

UDaB trip locations and details vary every year, attend an interest meeting or ask an e-board member for information about upcoming opportunities. If you’re interested in service but not sure about a weeklong trip, try a smaller UDaB event and see what you think. If you are concerned about costs, there are resources to help fund your trip.

Your only obstacle to packing your bags for March 2017 should be how fast you can click the application button!

Step 3. Apply

Yes, students do have to apply to participate in UDaB trips, but that’s only because they are so popular that there aren’t enough spots for everyone. The application opened September 12, so get clicking! Remember, you can’t go if you don’t apply.

“UDaB has not only impacted my college experience but also my future career path towards a life of active citizenship. After my first UDaB trip my freshman year, I started to look at the world through a different lens and started to recognize social justice issue that were going on in our local communities and across the world. Through my UDaB experience I have gained an interest in health policy and underprivileged communities’ access to appropriate and effective healthcare. I have had three amazing experiences with UDaB making memories and friendships that will last a lifetime while making a lasting impact in the communities I worked with. I am looking forward to what this year brings for our program and we encourage everyone to apply for a 2017 Spring Break trip!!”

– Patrick Biche, UDaB Program Coordinator

By Valerie Lane