Choosing a day care center is a big decision. Here are some important questions to ask:
- Is it close to home or classes?
- How many children in each group?
- What is the child/teacher ratio?
- What is the teaching/childcare philosophy?
- What is the training/ experience of the teachers?
- What are the hours and attendance policies?
- What is your policy on caring for sick children?
- What are the activities?
- What are the fees?
- Do I have to pay when my child is away on vacation?
Visit the center with your child. For more tips, visit the FamilyDoctor website.
Day Care Centers
Since ELI classes happen during the daytime, many ELI students take their children to day care so that they have a safe and educational place to stay during the day.
Two centers that are often used by ELI parents are:
- Willa Road Children’s Center
Address: 420 Willa Road, Newark
- Newark Day Nursery
Address: 921 Barksdale Road, Newark
What does your child need at day care?
There are many important things to consider as you prepare your child for day care. This page will help you to be prepared.
The first week in day care, your child should have a name tag with:
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ cell phone number
This will help the day care staff to learn who your child is, who you are, and how to reach you easily.
Schools and daycare centers must be able to reach you in an emergency. Give the school the cell phone number where you can be reached during the day, so they can call you if your child gets sick or hurt.If your cell number changes, remember to give the new number to the school immediately.
- Comfortable play clothes.
- Sneakers or shoes with rubber soles. During nice weather, children go outside everyday. No sandals, flip flops, or shoes with high-heels.
- A raincoat, winter coat, hat and gloves, when it is cold or rainy.
- Young children need an extra set of clothes and a towel.
Put your child’s name on everything he/she brings to school.
If your child does not eat some foods (because of allergies or religious reasons), please send a note telling which foods your child should not eat. This information will go into your child’s file so that lunch helpers can help your child with what to eat.Click here for more information about shopping for food in Newark.Please see the resources below for some ideas about healthy meals for children: