The pre-academic program for newly admitted international students
The ELI’s Get Ahead Program prepares international students for the academic and cultural expectations of a top American research university.
Many international applicants to the University of Delaware have achieved the minimum TOEFL score required for direct admission (rather than conditional admission) to the university’s undergraduate programs; however, these students often need additional support in order to succeed in their courses and to adjust to life on an American university campus. The Get Ahead program was developed in order to meet those needs.
- Program features
- Typical schedule
- Admissions information
- Program dates
- Immunizations, medical requirements, and health insurance
- Ask a question about the Get Ahead Program
- Apply for the Get Ahead program now!
The 7-week International Get Ahead Program was designed in order to prepare international students for the rigors of their academic studies at the University of Delaware–while allowing students to earn credit toward their degree.
Get Ahead students participate in:
- Daily courses to improve their Academic English vocabulary, lectures, reading/writing skills, note-taking, etc.
- Regular meetings with faculty mentors
- Workshops for learning and problem-solving strategies
- Cultural programming and exciting excursions to places like New York City and Washington, DC.
See the schedule below for additional information.
Academic/linguistic skill development
Get Ahead students develop and practice skills necessary for success in an American university, such as:
- Vocabulary and reading development
- Summary, reflection, lab report and short paper writing
- Lecture listening, note taking, and discussion skills
- Engaging in class and in campus life
- Reading a variety of textbooks
- Test-taking skills
In addition, Get Ahead students will:
- Learn the study skills and classroom engagement strategies successful American students use at the university level
- Work with a special mentor on their specific academic learning goals
- Develop time management and organization skills
- Build teamwork skills to solve problems
- Identify and use university resources
Additional program features
- Small classes (10-12 students) with other degree-seeking international students
- Weekly meals with other Get Ahead students and with a faculty mentor
- Several tracks of study:
- Business and Humanities
- Engineering and Sciences
| Back to top |
|Academic Lectures and Note-taking||8:15-9:05||TR|
|Learning and Problem Solving Strategies||9:30-10:10||TR|
|Academic Writing and Reading||10:35-12:35||MTWR|
|Academic Learning Partners||2:00– 3:15||TR|
|Sports and Recreation||Afternoon||W|
|Trips and Excursions||All Day||S|
*M = Monday; T = Tuesday; W = Wednesday;
R = Thursday; F = Friday; S = Saturday
| Back to top |
The next dates for the Get Ahead program will be June 23—August 12, 2016.
The following is the estimated cost of attendance for the ELI’s Get Ahead Program:
|Tuition, cultural program, and advising lunches||US$ 4,228|
|Room and board (see below)*||2,559|
|Health insurance and health clinic fees||352|
|Application fee and express mail fee**||135|
|Special Get Ahead scholarship for Summer 2016!||-500|
**Application fee and express mail fee are paid in advance (when the student submits an application for the program).
Prices are in US dollars and are subject to change without notice. Prices are valid until August 12, 2016.
Room and board options:
- *Room and Board Option# 1 includes: Traditional Homestay (7 breakfasts, 7 dinners, and 2 lunches each week, $ 1,939) and an Off-Campus Meal Plan (5 meals each week, $ 370) + $250 placement fee – Total: $ 2,559.
- Other housing options may become available for Summer 2016, including on-campus dormitories and the INNternationationale. Once these options have been finalized, we will post the pricing details here.
Application deadline: May 23, 2016.
The application process for the ELI’s Get Ahead Program is easy! Follow these instructions:
- Complete the online application (click here to go to the application).
- Pay the application fee ($100) and the express mail fee ($35) – a total of US $135.
Click here to access our secure payment system to pay online with a credit card.
- Submit the required documents to us by email at email@example.com:
- A copy of your acceptance letter from the University of Delaware Office of Admissions
- A copy of your passport
After we receive the completed documents, we will send a new I-20 form to you within 1-2 business days. You will receive an automatic email message from DHL Express Mail service when the I-20 has been shipped.
If you have any questions about your application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
| Back to top |
- Please click here to learn about the immunizations and medical tests required in order to participate in the Get Ahead Program.
- Please click here to learn about the health insurance requirement.
Thank you for your interest in Get Ahead! We are happy to answer your questions. Please complete the form below. You will receive a response by email within 1-2 business days.
| Back to top |