TRANSLATE THIS PAGE
Accreditation and Standards
The University of Delaware English Language Institute (ELI) Intensive English Program (IEP) and Teaching English as a Foreign Language Program (DEFT) are accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) for the period August 2016 through August 2026 and agrees to uphold the CEA standards for English Language Programs.
Faculty and Staff
The ELI is one of the only Intensive English Programs in the United States to offer personal one-on-one tutoring with trained tutors in its regular “Full Program” at no extra charge.
ELI Program List
- Intensive English Program (IEP)
- Conditional Admissions Program (CAP)
- Academic Transitions (A.T.)
- Accelerated University English Program (AUEP)
- American Law & Legal English Institute (ALLEI)
- Language Adventure USA
- Summer Language and Leadership Academy (SLLA)
- Edge-ELI: The summer pre-college program
- IELTS test preparation
- Executive English Program
- Delaware EFL Teacher Training Program (DEFT)
- Master's in teaching English as a second language (MA-TESL)
- Corporate tutoring
- Evening Program
The English Language Institute (ELI) is housed on the University of Delaware campus and in several nearby annex buildings. In ELI buildings you will find classrooms, faculty and administrative offices, our state-of-the-art Self-Access Learning Center, and our Tutoring Center. Each classroom is equipped with wireless internet and a variety of multimedia technologies. All buildings are within easy walking distance of each other.
Each ELI student receives a University of Delaware ID card, as well as a University email account. With your ID card, you can access many University of Delaware facilities and services, including:
- over 30 computing sites on campus where students can access the internet, check email, and complete classroom assignments,
- UD’s Morris Library, at the center of campus, with nearly three million books and advanced state-of-the art technology for information retrieval,
- 3 large, fully equipped gyms, two indoor ice-skating rinks (for use even in the summer), an indoor and an outdoor swimming pool, and many soccer fields, basketball, and tennis courts,
- a concert hall, two theaters, and a professional arts center with many artistic and cultural events,
- dining halls and food courts located throughout campus, and
- a free UD shuttle bus.