Welcome to the University of Delaware English Language Institute (ELI)! We are happy that you will join our program in March.
Posted below is the Orientation Schedule, which will tell you where you have to go during your first few days at the ELI.
Orientation is mandatory — all students must attend each day/activity of Orientation.
We are eager to meet you very soon!
- Click here to download a campus map (PDF)
- Click here to download a copy of the Orientation schedule (PDF)
Orientation Schedule – Session IV 2017 (March 2 – April 28, 2017)
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Location: 108 East Main Street, Newark, Delaware (#3 on campus map)
7:30 AM: UD vans will pick you up at the Red Roof Inn and take you to Registration at the ELI.
- If you are moving into Studio Green, Pine Brook, One Easton, or the Global Community, leave your luggage at the front desk and check out of your hotel room.
- Suggestion: Students who are not staying at the Red Roof Inn should use Uber to get to Registration.
8:00 AM: Registration
- Bring your passport, I-20 form, and health/immunization forms.
9:00 AM: Placement testing begins
12:30 – 3:00 PM: Pay your bill
- To pay with a credit card: Go to the SALC (computer lab at 108 East Main Street) or Listening Lab (Room 108 at 318 South College Avenue).
- To pay with cash, check, etc.: Go to the Student Services Building (30 Lovett Avenue)
1:00 – 4:00 PM: Housing Move-In
- If you need transportation to Studio Green, Pine Brook, One Easton, or the Global Community, meet at 108 East Main Street at 12:00 pm.
- The UD vans will pick you up at 108 East Main Street, take you to the hotel to get your luggage, and drop you off at your housing placement.
Friday, March 3, 2017
Location: Trabant Center, Multi-Purpose Rooms A, B, and C (#10 on your campus map)
Tip: Wear comfortable shoes! You will walk for 2 hours.
7:45 AM: Bus pick-up
- Use the UD shuttle bus to go to the Orientation Presentation at Trabant if you live in The Global Community, Studio Green, One Easton, or Pine Brook. UD vans will not pick you up.
- Find the shuttle bus map and schedule here: http://tinyurl.com/UDshuttle.
8:00 AM: Orientation presentation and breakfast
- All new students are required to attend Orientation Presentation,
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM:* Campus tour and ID check-in
- All new students are required to participate.
- Bring these things with you:
- I-20 Form
- Comfortable shoes
- If you need to pay your bill with cash, check, etc., you will pay during your tour at the Student Services Building (30 Lovett Avenue).
*Any new student who did not test on Tuesday will take the test at 10:00 AM. We will take you to 108 East Main Street. You will do your tour after testing. An ELI van will take you to your hotel after you finish your tour.
IMPORTANT: All students must have finished paying their bill by Wednesday afternoon (March 8, 2017).
Monday, March 6, 2017
Location: Perkins Student Center – Galley Room (#26 on campus map)
8:00 AM: Orientation
- ALL students are required to attend
- Activities include:
- Coffee and Tea
- Important presentations
- Get your schedule; find out your ELI level
11:00 AM: Buy your books
- We will take you to the bookstore.
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
8: 15 AM: Classes begin!
- Be on time so you do not get marked late.
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Location: Willard Hall – Rooms 109 & 319 (#8 on campus map)
4:30 – 7:30 PM: Retesting
Only for students who need to take the placement tests again to change their level. Information will be provided at orientation.