Photo services provides digital photography and photo printing services to the University of Delaware community. Professional photographers are available for portraits, events coverage and other special photography needs. To request University photography, complete the Request for Service form found on the Web forms page. Please allow reasonable notice (not less than 3 days). This assists with our ability to schedule and assign photographers. Late requests (less than 24 hours) may result in a photographer not being available. Loaner cameras can be borrowed if arrangements are made in advance.
Clients are charged for the cost of materials for each assignment and should specify on the Request for Service form how they would prefer to have their images delivered. For publicity photos and limited numbers of images – the University’s drop box system works well and is recommended to keep costs low. Although the client has first rights to the images, all original images remain the property of Communications and Public Affairs and may become a part of the University’s UDigital Portfolio.
Photographic Services works with SmugMug on large events like Commencement to make ordering prints easy and affordable. On “UD in Photos” you can find the most recent links to the University of Delaware’s SmugMug site.
An online catalog, UDigital Portfolio, provides a sampling of photos that users can browse, purchase and download.
Model releases may be required for identifiable subjects in photo shoots depending on the relationship between the subject and the University, the subject’s age, and how photos are used. Photographic services provides two types of model releases: adult releases for subjects over the age of 18 and minor releases for subjects younger than 18. Minor releases require the signature of a subject’s parent or legal guardian to be valid.
NOTE: Effective July 1st, 2010 our pricing structure changed to allow for charging for photo projects or assignments that go beyond 2 hours. There will be no charge for the first 2 hours of photography (defined as door-to-door coverage) to include professional photography, edit and download of the images and a CD/DVD or web gallery of the final product. Additional hours can be accommodated at the $75.00/hour rate as stated on our pricing pages. A project that continues over several days is still subject to only 2 “no-charge” hours starting on the first day of shooting.
Online photo credits for University of Delaware photographers are given at the end of UDaily stories, not next to the photos themselves. In print, photo credits are given as a credit line next to the photo. In many cases, UD photographers are credited as “University of Delaware” or “Photo Services” and not themselves, as they do not own the photos personally.
External or freelance photographers are credited in the same way. No credit lines are given near the photos when presented digitally, but only when in print form. No logos, watermarks or company marks are allowed on the photos themselves. Credits will be given as a text line with the photographer’s name or permission or courtesy line ONLY.
To order a photo shoot, please call 302-831-1150. Please have ready the following information:
- Date and start time photographer is needed and an approximate finish time.
- Location where event will take place, including building name and room number on campus and directions to the site if off-campus, noting any special instructions.
- Name and phone number of contact person at the photo shoot.
- Name, phone number and e-mail address of person to contact in advance for detailed information.
- Type of end-product needed: black and white print, color print, color slide or digital image. If digital, indicate format desired (.tif, .jpg, .gif, DPI, size in inches and Mac or PC compatibility.)
- Specifics of shot, including detailed information of what will take place, the location for the photograph, how many individuals will be in the photo, if multiple photographs will be required, etc.
Keep in mind
- Standard sizes for black and white prints are 4×5, 5×7, 8×10 and 11×14.
- Standard sizes for color prints (depending on the size of the negative) are: 3-1/2×5, 4×5, 5×7,8×10 and 11×14.
- Negatives are kept on file for five years before they are stored in University Archives. Any reprint order using negatives in Archives requires three additional working days.
- The normal turnaround for work is approximately one week, depending on the size of job and time of the year.
- Our standard photography rate is $75.00 per hour for all photographers. If, due to special circumstances, a higher rate must be charged, you will be given an estimate for approval.
- If minors are in the photograph, you must make arrangements in advance to have release forms signed.
For reprint orders, please call 302-831-1150, and have ready the following information:
- The contact sheet
- Size of print
- Number of the negatives desired (this number is located at the bottom or side of each frame)
- Quantity of prints needed from each negative
- The date the event took place
- The name of the event or person who was photographed
- The date you need your reprints
Keep in mind
Negatives are kept on file for five years before they are stored in University Archives. Any reprint order using negatives from Archives requires three additional working days.
Order photo reprints online.
NOTICE: Please allow 72 workday hours for all photo print/reprint requests.
|Plus cost of prints|
|On-Location Portraits/ Assignments (includes studio set-ups or location in b/w or color)||
$75 per hour
|Plus cost of prints Minimum charge one hour. All expenses (such as film processing, mileage, meals, download time and photo retouching) will be billed to client. If freelance photographer used, client charged their rate.|
|Murals & Aerial Photography||
Call for Quote
|Copy Photography (Available)||
Call for Quote
|Scanning||Scanning from slide, negative, or print||
$50 per hour
|Minimum charge: $25|
|Scan enhancement (Touch-up scan)||
$50 per hour
|Hourly rate billed in 15 min. increments|
|Digital Prints||4×6 photo inkjet print||
|Min ½ hr set-up for client-provided
|5×7 photo inkjet print||
|8×10 or 8-1/2×11 photo inkjet print||
|Other Services||Color transparencies for audiovisual presentations||
Call for quote and availability of outside services.
|Delivery||By e-mail, CD, drop box or download site|