The University of Delaware’s Center for Counseling and Student Development’s Doctoral Level Practicum in Psychology
The University of Delaware’s Center for Counseling & Student Development (CCSD) is seeking doctoral students in counseling or clinical psychology who are interested in a practicum experience working in a full service college counseling center. It is preferable for applicants to have had at least two semesters of supervised clinical experience as well as course work or background in counseling theories, multicultural theories, and ethics. There will be a stipend of $175 for the 2017-18 academic year which can be applied to parking expenses.
CCSD is dedicated to training high quality psychology practitioners. In addition to the practicum program, we have a post-doctoral fellowship and an APA accredited pre-doctoral internship.
Activities and Responsibilities
Practicum students are expected to spend two days each week at CCSD. In a standard week, practicum students will have 6-10 hours of individual counseling appointments, 3 hours of individual and group supervision, and 2-3 hours of administrative activities. A didactic seminar is held in the beginning of the fall and winter semesters. CCSD uses a time-limited treatment model and supports trainees in developing their skills in this modality. Practicum students are also encouraged to carry one client on a longer term basis in order to diversify their learning experiences. Videotape review of sessions is used in supervision.
Opportunities for career assessment and counseling, group therapy process observation, outreach activities, and initial assessments may also be available. Practicum students are invited to attend our weekly staff and case conference meetings as well as our professional development sessions.
Any questions about the practicum at CCSD or application process can be sent to the practicum coordinator, Jeremy Cohen, Ph.D. at email@example.com.
Applicants should submit the following materials
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts from graduate work
- Two letters of reference (at least one from a clinical supervisor).
Applications are due by January 17th, 2017.
Materials should be sent to:
Jeremy S. Cohen, Ph.D.
Center for Counseling and Student Development
261 Perkins Student Center
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716
Application and Notification Process
- Our site follows the Uniform Timeline for Practicum Applications followed by many programs in the Greater Philadelphia Area.
- Students may submit applications starting December 15, 2016.
- All applications are due by January 17, 2017.
- Interviews will be held during the following five weeks and will be completed by February 24, 2017.
- Starting March 6, 2017, CCSD will send out the first round of emails to every candidate between 9 and 11 a.m. indicating whether we are extending an offer. Every candidate will hear either “yes,” “no,” or “you are still under consideration.”
- Applicants have until 9 am the next morning, March 7, to reply to every offer they receive. The reply can be “yes,” “no,” or “hold.” Applicants are bound by the honor system and may only hold ONE offer at a time.
- This process continues iteratively until all slots are filled.
- Trainees may contact a more preferred slot to see if they are still under consideration during this process. CCSD will let remaining applicants know when all of our slots have been filled and we are no longer taking people off the waitlist.
- By 4 pm on Thursday, March 9, 2017, if there are still stalemates (e.g. some students are still “holding” an offer from a less preferred placement, while they are simultaneously still on the waitlist of a more preferred placement) CCSD will place calls to the DCTs of the relevant graduate programs in an attempt to resolve the stalemates.
- All decisions will be finalized by 12 noon on Friday, March 10, 2017.